FRIENDS OF KINGS MOUNTAIN STATE PARK
Current BY-LAWS as of August 21, 2023
ARTICLE I – NAME: Friends of Kings Mountain State Park (FKMSP)
ARTICLE II – PURPOSE
The general purpose of this organization shall be to improve and preserve the heritage of Kings Mountain State Park as a vital educational reminder of this historical site being a valuable natural resource for all S.C. citizens and the Parks many visitors. The primary purposes of the Friends are (a) to support the mission of the Kings Mountain State Park, ((b) to provide support through partnerships in activities that include assistance in environmental education, resource management and trails maintenance, (c) to provide volunteer services through financial, staff and program support, (d) to support the park through the promotion of public awareness of the values and benefits of state parks. The Friends will be subject in all events to such guidelines and agreements as may be adopted by the South Carolina State Park Service.
ARTICLE III – MEMBERSHIP AND DUES: This organization has an open membership policy, regardless of race, sex, color, national origin, age or handicap.
A1. Dues shall be twenty-five dollars ($25.00) per individual or family. Family has the right to one vote. Individual has the right to one vote. Payable on January 1st of each calendar year to be in good standing and have the right to vote and privileges.
B1. A club or group may join for one hundred dollars ($100.00), having the right for 4 individual votes. A club membership must provide each individuals name and contact information
ARTICLE IV – BOARD AND OFFICERS: The Board is the governing body of this organization and will be composed of the officers & chairs of any committees. The manager of Kings Mountain State Park and/or a duly appointed designee will serve as ex-officio member(s) of the Board, but will have no right to vote.
- The officers shall consist of the President, Vice-President, Treasurer, and Secretary.
- Officers shall be elected by a majority vote of those present at the annual meeting for a one year term. Officers should not hold more than 2 consecutive terms in their office, with the exception of the treasurer and secretary, which shall be voted on yearly and may succeed himself/herself. Any officer may be elected to another officer position.
- The President with the approval of the Board shall fill any vacancy occurring until an election at the next annual meeting.
ARCICLE V – DUTIES OF OFFICERS
- Shall preside over all Friends of K.M.S.P. organization meetings.
- Shall appoint all committee chairs with the approval of the board, and be available to each committee as needed.
- Vice President:
- Shall preside in the absence of the President at meetings & other events/activities.
- Shall collect all dues, pay bills, and be responsible for all financial correspondence including sending out parking passes if available.
- Shall supply members with an annual financial report in writing at the last quarterly meeting of the year.
- Shall be responsible for keeping a current membership list.
- Shall record minutes of all meetings.
- Shall be responsible for correspondence to the members except financial.
ARTICLE VI – MEETINGS
- Quarterly (January=Annual Membership Meeting, April, August & November) meetings shall be held the third Monday of the month at a designated site & time.
- Those present shall constitute a quorum at all meetings of the Friends of Kings Mountain State Park.
- Special Meetings: if necessary, members will be notified by e-mail or telephone of any called/special meetings, 48 hours in advance. Special meetings may follow a regular scheduled workday, with given notice.
ARTICLE VII – COMMITTIEES
- The President may appoint, with the approval of the board, a chairman for any of the following committees for the Friends of K.M.S.P.: Program Committee, Public/Membership Committee, Fund-Raising/Grant Committee, Budget Committee and Trail Committee. Other committees may also be created as deemed necessary.
- Service on each committee shall be on a volunteer basis. A member may be asked to serve on a committee at any time during the year, by the committee chairperson.
- The chairperson of each committee shall report to the members at each quarterly meeting
- The duties and responsibilities of each committee shall be as follows:
- Program committee: Shall plan annual events for the Friends of K.M.S.P organization with board approval.
- Public Relations/Membership Committee: Shall be responsible for advertising and promoting the Friends of K.M.S.P. organization and any corresponding activities, with board approval.
- Fund Raising/Grants Committee: Shall coordinate any activities which would raise funds for the Friends of K.M.S.P. originations, with board approval.
- Budget Committee: Shall write a budget, with board approval.
- Trail Committee: Shall coordinate the trail activities on a schedule work day with the Park Manager. Trails include hiking, backpacking, equine, and running.
ARTICLE VIII – FINANCES
- An annual finance report shall be submitted in writing to the members present at the last quarterly meeting.
- A checking account in the name of the Friends of Kings Mountain State Park shall be opened in York County.
- The Treasurer has the authority to write checks up to $100.00 limit without Board approval for budgeted miscellaneous expenditures. All other financial transactions UNDER $500.00 require the UNANIMOUS pre-approved and approval of the entire board of directors. All financial transactions OVER $500.00 shall require the discussion and majority approval by the current members (in good standing) present at a special called meeting or quarterly meeting of the Friends of Kings Mountain State Park. All checks written require the Treasurer’s signature,
- Dues should be payable by January 1st of each calendar year to be in good standing. All Friends of Kings Mountain State Park privileges shall be suspended if dues are not renewed by January 1st. Dues can be paid during any time of the year and privileges restored to be in good standing.
- An audit shall be completed every three years.
ARTICLE IX – TERMS OF OFFICE
- Term of office for each officer & committee chair shall be for one year.
- Terms of office shall run from January through December of each year
ARTICLE X – ELECTIONS
- A nominating committee shall be formed by the fourth quarterly meeting to proceed with the election process. Nominees must have verbally accepted in order to be elected.
- Nominations for officers shall be presented at the January 1st quarterly annual meeting and elected by a majority vote of those present.
- Nominees for officers should be a member in good standing for at least a year prior to seeking election for an office
- The newly elected officers shall officially take over their duties at the end of the business meeting in January.
- The highest ranking officer stepping down may accept or decline a position as Board Advisor.
- Members must be at the January meeting in order to cast their vote(s). Each $25.00 individual or family membership may cast 1 vote & each $100.00 club/group membership may cast 4 votes
ARTTICLE XI – AMENDMENTS
Amendments of these By-Laws can be enacted at any annual or quarterly membership meeting by a two-thirds vote of those members in good standing and present. Any amendment or change to the By-Laws will have a sufficient written 15 day notice for a called discussion meeting. There will be a 30 day period after the discussion meeting before the vote to change the By-Laws, at any quarterly or annual meeting. Any change to the By-Laws will be voted on item by item and not as a whole.
ARTICLE XII – PARLIAMENTARY PRODEDURE
Robert’s Rules of Order, Revised shall govern the proceedings of this organization.
ARTICLE XIII – DISSOLUTION
In the event of dissolution, this organization’s assets will be disposed of In line with the purposes as stated in Article II of these By-Laws. All assets of the Friends of Kings Mountain State Park will be transferred to Kings Mountain State Park.